Thursday, August 30, 2012

College Series Day 26: Getting Out Of The Bubble

If you've been in college, you know what I mean when I say this: College keeps you in this invisible bubble. You see everything that is going on at college, but you barely venture outside of that bubble.

When I went off to college, I didn't know the community that I was in. I didn't know where anything was, and I think I was at a great disadvantage vs. someone who lived in that city their whole life. I decided to make it my mission to venture out there, even if it was just to go to on a short errand. I found places to volunteer at, I took my GPS into the car with me and went exploring to find the nearest Target, and I Mapquested the nearest mall and went out and shopped. While these may seem trivial, they got me out my bubble and into the "real world." I think that is really important, and I encourage all of you Freshman to get into your car, or if you didn't bring a car, then grab a friend and go exploring. Find your nearest target or Ulta  or SOMETHING. You could have an emergency and need to know where the nearest pharmacy is or something, and you'd have no clue where one is or how to get to it.

Here are a couple of places I think are important to find:
-Nearest Target/Walmart
-Nearest convenient store and drug store
-Nearest gas station and car wash
-Nearest grocery store
-Nearest car dealership in case you need repairs, oil changes, etc.
-Nearest bakery (I kid you not, this comes in handy when it's someone's birthday
-Nearest 24hr clinic/hospital so that if you are deathly ill or injured in the middle of the night and need medical attention, you aren't having to search online for it!

That's my tip for the day. Please feel free to comment down below and add to the list of important place to find

No comments:

Post a Comment